Chinchero Inca Textile District
The Peruvian District of Chinchero is one of the 7 districts of the Province of Urubamba, located in the Department of Cusco, under the administration of the Regional Government of Cuzco, in Peru. The Province of Urubamba from the point of view of the ecclesiastical hierarchy is included in the Archdiocese of Cusco.
The origins of Chinchero are lost in the night of time. There are vestiges dating back approximately two thousand years. The first inhabitants of the region were the ayarmacas who, when the first governors of Cusco arrived, defended their territory and offered serious resistance before being incorporated into the empire. Chinchero was the place chosen by the Inca Túpac Inca Yupanqui to establish his residence. He ordered the construction of beautiful palaces for his personal use and that of his panaca.
Towards 1536, in the heat of Conquest, Manco Inca initiated its rebellion burning Chinchero so that the Spaniards did not renew their provisions and stopped persecuting it in their retirement towards unknown jungle regions. When Viceroy Toledo visited Cusco, he stopped at Chinchero. Here he established a reduction of Indians and ordered the construction of the present church, which was built on beautiful Inca halls. Later, during the revolution of Túpac Amaru II, the curaca of Chinchero, Mateo García Pamacahua, rose in favor of the King of Spain to fight the rebel. The victory of Pumacahua was immortalized in a mural in which today a puma appears defeating a serpent (amaru).
Officially, the district of Chinchero was created on September 9, 1905 through Law No. 59 given in the government of President José Pardo y Barreda. Here is what in the Inca era was the royal treasury of Túpac Inca Yupanqui, as well as a colonial temple built on the bases of that civilization, especially the typical doors or windows wider down and narrower above, which was a characteristic of the Inca architecture.
Chinchero - Perú
- Chinchero - Cusco
- Free Wi-Fi
- Value for money